Sunday, March 1, 2009

Some Thoughts on Fall 2009 Ready to Wear

Much to my dismay, school and work and this fickle little life have kept me from slipping into my biannual, obsession induced, Fashion Week la la land. I'm catching up, but I'm still working out my big "this is what's coming up" fashion mantra for this season. In the meantime, here are some things that have struck me - the new, the beautiful, the breathtaking...

I absolutely cannot get enough of Abaete. French brazilian designer Laura Poretzky has crafted the absolutely perfect blend of girly details with just-masculine-enough structure. Black seems to be one of colors a la moment this season, (Black is the new black?), and Poretzky has found a way to keep it from seeming too foreboding.


The RTW collections also seem to be drawing from a kind of urban street-wear-of-the-metropolis: Narrow pants, strong jackets, emphasis on the shoulders, utilitarian details, and a weighty shoe. An interesting and unexpected change for some of the fashion elite. (Read: the normally feminine, albeit never frou-frou, Proenza Schouler.) It's hard to know the root of this budding trend, but it seems fitting in this volatile economic climate. These clothes aren't for the weary, but the strong willed. Our appearance will be tough, our skin tougher.




This creamy grey silhouette with black sandals is perfection, Derek Lam:

And with a tiny bit of traditional British frill, Mulberry:

As I continue to absorb the stories from the tents, I'm certain I'll ending writing a bit more about what's to come for Fall. (I haven't even touched the couture shows yet!) But for now, happy fashion smashion.

2 comments:

  1. absolutely LOVE Boy Band of Outsiders. Just put in a huge order for their Fall RTW at the store I work at, Serenella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, me too. I love the little page boy influence. It's perfectly casual and unexpectedly sexy.

    ReplyDelete